This week has been nice and quiet at work since only staff are here - apparently students and faculty members get an extra week. While I am bitter about that, make no mistake, I am happy for the quiet so I can finally sludge through the big pile of to-dos that I left behind when I left for holidays. Because I have been planning to spend most of the workday working and sitting in relative isolation at my desk, I haven't really made much of an effort in my outward appearance so far this week. Which of course has come back to bite me in the ass.
I stopped into Tim's for a quick coffee pick-up today, and 2 people in front of me there was a girl I knew from high school. There I was, Shorty in Sorels: functional but chunky Sorels, snowboard-style winter coat and bundled in mitts & scarf. There she was, Tall and Skinny: stylish wool coat, perfectly blow-dried hair and makeup, ironed dress pants and black leather boots. I of course tried to meld unnoticably into the background, but she saw me and went out of her way to hit me and say hi and go through this little conversation. The whole encounter took 5 minutes, and the whole time I wanted to yell "I don't always look so frumpy! And maybe I would have time to blow-dry my hair and do makeup every morning if I didn't have to work at 8:30!" I realize that as the snow continues to pile up outside, I'll be much better off in my Sorels vs. her high-heeled pointy boots, but I can't help but be bitter about Canadian winter and what it means to fashion for those who like to look semi-nice.
The encounter has motivated me to add another resoultion for the new year: Try not to look so frumpy.
Thursday, January 06, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment