Last Friday I went to the second of 2 Cuff the Duke shows at the Grad Club, and can I say "Yo dat shit is hot!" Partly due to the GC vibe, partly due to the fact that the band can really put on a show, it was a solid set that was more than worth the measly $10 the tickets cost. It's sort of like a high school party at your friend's old house where a band just sets up in one corner and rocks out while the rest of the party goers are smushed up together and feeding off of the music in a bouncy dancey frenzy. People were singing along, I was squished and dancing with fellow dancers and I was actually able to get a full view of the stage to get the full effect of the performance on stage. I'm not sure how that happened, except that there seemed to be a magic gap in between some groupie girls up front that gave me a clear shot of everything that was going on.
The band played a good mix of new and old, and even though I've heard it all several times before, the performance itself seemed really fresh, so yay for that. Music aside, the highlight for me was the band recounting their visit to the Kingston Value Village earlier in the day and showing their purchases (Wayne bought a belt, Jeff bought a tie-dye t-shirt, some other shirt, and a nice tacky sombrero which he shared with the crowd later).
I'm sorry to report that there were a minimal number of people-watch-worthy subjects. I know, what's with that right? I was wondering that myself. There was really only one chick who was standing right beside the speaker who looked like she was on LSD, moving like it was the Age of Aquarius.
Compared to the Metric show the other week where I felt like I was one of the measly 5% who seemed to actually be moving/dancing/jumping around, I was really happy that the rest of the crowd shared my desire to shake ass, and indeed we all did shake some ass. I dunno, when the music is that good and uppity, how could you not?
Tuesday, October 04, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment