Pages

Wednesday, March 24, 2004

15 minutes of kind-of fame in preparation for my 15 minutes of fame

Julian, Marcus and I performed last night for the first time! And it was awesome!

We went to Open Mic at the Scherzo and actually did a decent job. We played Pipe Dreams/Travis, Trouble/Coldplay, and I Can Feel It/Sloan. I felt kind of silly at first with our ensemble (meaning everyone else showed up with their guitar to sing, and we showed up with Julian's guitar, Marcus' bass, and my keyboard) because it just took ages to set up and we were only doing 3 songs. But then it went really well!

I didn't screw up Pipe Dreams like I thought I would (and Marta did fantabulously on tambourine, despite the short notice). When we did Trouble there were scattered "woo!"'s and smatterings of applause peppered throughout our performance. While that was incredibly flattering, one of the woo guys in the front row was a little too boisterous and I messed up one chord as a result of giggling to myself. Way to go amateur! I Can Feel It (one of my favourites) went really well too. Julian took a longer break between verses at one point than usual so I just started singing without him, but we recovered nicely. I thought I was singing a little flat at the end, but no one else seemed to notice.

So a few out-of-the ordinary things happened when we finished our little set.
1. The boisterous "woo!" man was applauding, but also threw in a "yum-my!"... I was a little disturbed and hoped he wasn't directing it at me. I can honestly say that no one has yelled "yummy" at me before.
2. A girl came up to the stage and asked Julian and Marcus if we play elsewhere or if we have a CD for sale. She thought we were really good. Secretly I was laughing because... SHE WAS ME! GROUPIE SLUT!
3. We got a pitcher of beer on the house for playing. This has never happened to me before, so I was pretty flabbergasted.

SO COOL! CISC BAND LIVES! Maybe the three of us are going to become an actual band! I know I'm being geeky about this, but it's a huge deal to me. Hooray!

No comments: