I am not a freak.
When I was a kid, I ate with a fork and a spoon, not a fork and knife. I thought it was normal, until I went to a friend's house when I was 12 and discovered that the rest of the North American population ate with a fork and knife. Needless to say, dinner at my friend's house was a torturous experience, but I ended up learning how to eat properly sans cuillère eventually.
Fast forward 12 years where I'm still harbouring feelings of embarassment and shame over my parents' choice of cutlery. Well, to be honest, I still eat with a spoon and fork when I'm alone or when I'm with family, but I never do in front of other people. Especially not after Rob and Robin teased me mercilessly about it a little while ago when they first found out! (To be fair, Jo messed up the information, and told them that I only used a spoon to eat until I was 12.)
Finally yesterday I experienced some vindication. Jeremy and I went to Saigon Delights yesterday and we were just sitting and chatting, waiting for our food to arrive. As I was pouring myself a cup of tea, I noticed that the server gave us... A SPOON AND A FORK! No knife! It made me feel like hey, maybe filipinos are not the only people who eat with a fork and a spoon, and maybe I'm not such a freak after all! So to all of you who mock the spoon and fork combination, screw you, it IS normal for some people to eat without a spoon and fork. Ha.
Wednesday, April 14, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment