Sadly it looks like Bush might be re-elected. Happily, I didn't bother investing my time watching the entire race because, let's face it, I would be a whole lot of pissy if I watched the country slowly approach the fate that befalls them with a Bush re-election.
Anyhoo, I instead went to the New Music Night at the Elixir and I am so glad that I did! What an odd evening though.
Firstly I realized on my way out that I was out of cash, so I decided to make a stop off at the BMO bank machines downtown. Of course I forgot about the homeless people that sometimes like to hang out/sleep in the ATM entrance area. So I entered the little area alone and was confronted by a homeless bag lady that seemed to be sleeping (her head was down) when I entered. But no, as I opened my wallet, her head snapped up and she started yelling at me. The 2 things I can remember is her yelling at me that she thought she could make some money selling clothes, and also that I looked like a young brat. Uh. Keep in mind that I was by myself, at night taking out money from an ATM (basically I was really scared for my safety). Luckily she didn't get out of her chair so I just got the hell out of there.
I got to Elixir and ordered a coffee. But they didn't have any sugar (or milk) so the bartender offered me whipped cream. I said ok, and asked for a shot of Bailey's to go with it. That was ok until she combined it all into a too-small mug, and it was spilling all over the bar. That would be ok too, but then I asked for some napkins and they didn't have any. What bar has NO napkins?!? Needless to say, it was a messy experience.
The bill was Sourkeys, the Attics, and Magneta Lane. The crowd consisted of me, a pair of girls, a pair of guys, the Sourkeys, Attics, Magneta Lane, an older couple somehow related to Magneta Lane, sound guy, Elixir staff, and Chris from Rock Crew. It was empty ish, but I thought that would be ok. The Sourkeys started (late of course) and I thought they definitely had enthusiasm and some original rhythm. In terms of music, I enjoyed the live experience but I don't think it's anything I would go out of my way to listen to. And while they were playing these 6 or so groupies just gravitated to the stage - singing along and pumping fists and dancing and everything. It was pretty funny considering the back 3/4 of the bar was sort of empty. These 5 guys came in during the set and went to order from the bar but of course had to stand right in front of me in the way so I moved stageside so I could actually see.
The Attics came on afterward and they were surprisingly GREAT. They're these 4 guys from Winnipeg and I REALLY really enjoyed them. Solid lyrics, playing, and they just seemed so polished-like - they just have a really good synergy. It was really pleasant - at times I was reminded of early Sloan and Inbreds. It didn't hurt that all 4 of them were pretty cute - those of you that know me know that I'm helpless against the indie rock musicians. Sigh. Now while their set was going on, this noise was beginning to grow at the back of the bar. I looked back and saw a pile of guys all in (seemingly) cast off Halloween costumes, and they kept coming in. Eventually the bar was full of loud, rowdy guys and a few girls, all in costume. I thought it was just the RMC hockey team, but now I'm wondering if it was some larger group than that. Anyway, it was one of the more annoying things - i kept getting jostled around by drunken dancing jumping guys and one drunk guy slammed 3 beer bottles on the counter on which i was leaning which led to me getting beer spilled on me. I gave him my classic Mitch withering look and said "HEY watch it" and he just let out a drunken giggle and covered his mouth with a sash (he was dressed up as a belly dancer). Anyway, I just tried concentrating on the band, and eventually the big crowd started filtering out.
I was thinking "FINALLY" since Magneta Lane was the reason I went in the first place, but I think the guitarist/singer's amp blew and it took ages for them to set up as a result. One of the Attics members ended up lending an amp to her. By the time they started, most of the riff raff had left, so it was nice and empty ish again and I could enjoy the experience without sneezing. I think I was allergic to some of the raunchy "furry" costumes that some of the guys were wearing. They didn't sound as put together as I expected, and the bassist had a I-hate-everyone-a-la-Dears-keyboardist sort of expression the whole time, the singer kept asking the drummer what song they were playing next, and there was no real transition between songs. However, despite all of these things, they were sort of charming and I enjoyed the set lots, so I'm sure the performance will come along with time. I bet the technical difficulties and the freezing bar probably didn't help them either.
To top off the odd occurrences of the evening, while I was leaving and walking to my car, there was a drunk guy on a bike trying to ride down the street. I was sort of nervous that he was going to fall into my car. As it was, I saw him slalom down for a little bit and wipe out sideways 3 times. Hopefully he got home ok and didn't cause any accidents.
Anyway, all in all, I'm really glad I went to the Elixir instead of staying home and watching the disappointment of Bush gaining votes. Sigh. And now, I should probably go to bed on account of the work tomorrow. Boo.
Wednesday, November 03, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment