Cuff the Duke opened and I was sort of 'enh' for the first two songs. I've seen them 2 times before (maybe 3?) and I just didn't think the energy was there. In retrospect, I suspect that it probably had to do with the fact that there weren't very many people close ish to the stage and it was only 2:30 in the afternoon. After the first 2 song lull, the rest of the set kicked some serious ass. There was the usual instrument switching (the guy standing behind me would not stop talking to his friends about how many guitars Wayne had), multiple instrument playing, guitar waving and banter. I think I had my mouth half open during "Ballad of the Lonely Construction Worker" (I *think* that's what it's called) because I was just in awe of the energy and presence. I definitely like them much more than I ever thought I would ages ago the first time Rob convinced me to go with him to see them. I think the crowd really enjoyed them too, so it makes me happy to think that maybe this tour has garnered them a little more attention (well deserved).
When Hayden came on it was obvious who the crowd was there to see. There was the usual surge forward. He went into a solid set - I don't think there were any bad moments during the entire performance. The crowd was really engaged, it was like complete silence in the seconds before any song began as people waited in breathless anticipation to hear what he would play. After so many albums, I like that he doesn't just stick to the material on the latest album that he's touring for, although judging from the crowd's reaction I think that most of the people present were familiar with Skyscraper National Park and Elk Lake Serenade. I've been listening to him since 1995, so I was really excited to hear some of the older songs that I really loved, like Hardly and Bad as they Seem. I would also have to agree with Rob's brothers in that the encore was the best part - In September was so loud and energetic and good. All in all it was well worth the drive and money to attend the show.
Of course, there were a few highlights for me...
During CTD:
- After finding out most of the crowd was actually above 19 despite the all ages show, Wayne announced they're playing at the Drake on Dec. 4. A person yelled out "Drake is for HIPSTERS!!!" in some anti-hipster sentiment. Wayne and Jeff laughed and then Wayne said "We're also going to play at the Basement... is that better?" The person yelled out "For LOSERS!!!" There was a moment of silence then both Wayne and Jeff said "... Jesus." almost simultaneously.
- Wayne saying, "Thanks a lot, you've been a great crowd. We're Cuff the Duke. But obviously, you're here to see Hayden."
- Hayden explained his voice was sort of rough because they had a very late night the night before and he just woke up. Then he said "Actually, this is the earliest I've been up.... ever. Oh well, you can just think of my voice as more manly." [If you've never listened to Hayden, his voice is one of the manliest I have ever heard, so I thought that was hilarious of him to say.]
- In between songs, Hayden took off his harmonica from around his neck, and it ended up bumping into his mike and he said "OW"
- Before Hardly, Hayden said something like "I wrote this song when I was 21..." and then when he started playing, he messed up the first chord change. He cracked up laughing, everyone else did too, and then he said "Apparently I haven't played this since I was 21."
- Before My Parent's House, Hayden claimed that it was one of the first songs he wrote at 4 years old and he was obviously very musically advanced for his age.
- After a run of solo mellow songs, he said "It's time to pick it up a little bit. I think I've been bringing it down for a little too long."
- The la-la-la singalong during Carried Away was fun (and at some points kind of yelly). Apparently Hayden was not impressed with the singalong abilities of the attendees at Thurs and Fri nights' shows. I initially thought he was just sucking up to the crowd, but then I heard a rumour that he was kind of pissy at Thursday's show, so maybe he was telling us the truth?
- During Bad as they Seem, after one chorus he played 2 chords then stopped and said, "Shit that was supposed to be a harmonica solo!" Again laughing, he sang "Snack...." and then went into his harmonica solo like nothing happened.
- In September, period! It was the last song, and Hayden and the Elk Lake Serenaders/CTD let it all hang out (I feel like a beatnik saying that). I love how they were just playing music - like it was ok for band members other than Hayden to take centre stage at times, and there was nothing weird about it. It was so GOOD.
No comments:
Post a Comment